What is the best definition of education? The word education is emanated from two Latin words, educare and educere. Educare means to train and mold while educere means to lead out. Basically that is the root of the word “education.” The process of obtaining education is defined in so many ways in this article. Therefore the best definition of education is that it is a process that begins from the time one is born until death, in short it does not end. Here some definitions by different scholars.
Definition of education by different authors
- Education is the process of training man to fulfill his aim by exercising all the faculties to the fullest extent as a member of society. Aristotle. Aristotle’s definition of education means that, educations helps man to realize his capabilities and bring out his very best so as to benefit the society and himself. He is able to become what he wants and make use of that which is within him.
- Education is every interaction that happens is every association that occurs between adults with children is a field or a state where the educational work in progress. M.J. Langeveld. From this definition it is a clear indication that education begins from the home. As adults interact with the children, especially the learning of language.
- Education efforts that are deliberately chosen to influence and assist children with the aim of improving knowledge, physical and morals that can gradually deliver the child to the highest goal. In order for the child to live a happy, and all what dilakukanya(he did) be beneficial to himself and society. Prof. H. Mahmud Yuzus
- Education means the bringing out of the ideas of universal validity which are latent in the mind of every man. Socrates
- Education is defined as a learning process for the individual to attain knowledge and understanding of the higher specific objects and specific. The knowledge gained formally resulting individual has a pattern of thought and behavior in accordance with the education they have gained. Big Indonesian Dictionary (1991)
- Education is a combination of growth and human development with social legacy. Kohnstamm and Gunning (1995): Education is the formation of conscience. Education is a process of self-formation and self-determination ethically, conformed conscience. Stella van Petten Henderson
- Education is a conscious and deliberate effort to create an atmosphere of learning and the learning process so that learners are actively developing the potential for him to have the spiritual strength of religious, self-control, personality, intelligence, noble character, and the skills needed themselves and society. Wikipedia
- Education is all one with growing; it has no end beyond itself. (Education is everything along with growth; education itself has no final destination behind him). John Dewey (1978). Education is an on going thing and it continues to happen even when we don’t notice as long as growth is taking place. There some things that are learned observation and in such situations it is difficult to even realize that an individual is learning. For instance a child learning how to cook through observation, then later on practices.
- In the broadest sense, education is the device by which a social group continued existence renew yourself, and defend his ideas. H.H Horne
- In defining education, it is a process of facilitating learning, or the acquisition of knowledge, skills, values, morals, beliefs, habits, and personal development. Education originated as transmission of cultural heritage from one generation to the next. Today, educational goals increasingly encompass new ideas such as liberation of learners, critical thinking about presented information, skills needed for the modern society, empathy and complex vocational skills.
- Education can be categorized in three types which include; formal, informal and non formal education. Formal education is they type of education that takes place in a structured learning environment e.g. a classroom. This type of learning is facilitated by a qualified and trained teacher and there is a syllabus to be followed depending on the level. The second type is informal education also known as traditional education. It takes place at anytime and anywhere mostly in the home, there is no syllabus followed as it is more concerned with the proper upbringing if a child, morals values etc. Lastly, non formal education, this type of education is more on sensitization of the community on information about health and others issues that might be affecting the society. Mostly leaders of organizations train and mobilize people to do the teaching.
- In conclusion, the best definition of education is yet to be found as education is a process that involves a lot. There is also the practical part of it which is vocational training. The three types discussed and vocational training need to be included in a single definition to give it the best definition. And that is why for now we can simply say it is a process which begins from birth untill death. This is so because learning does not end depending on the environment and exposure.
Written By Stella, Zambia.