What is the best definition of education? The word education is emanated from two Latin words, educare and educere. Educare means to train and mold while educere means to lead out. Basically, that is the root of the word “education.” The process of obtaining an education is defined in so many ways in this article. Therefore, the best definition of education is that it is a process. One that begins from the time one is born until death. In short, it does not end. Here are some definitions by different scholars.
Definition of education by different authors
- Education is the process of training man to fulfill his aim by exercising all the faculties to the fullest extent as a member of society. Aristotle. Aristotle’s definition of education means that education helps man to realize his capabilities. The goal is to bring out his very best to benefit society and himself. He is able to become what he wants and make use of that which is within him.
- Education is every interaction that happens is every association that occurs between adults with children in a field or a state where the educational work is in progress. M.J. Langeveld. From this definition, it is a clear indication that education begins from the home. As adults interact with children, especially in the learning of language.
- Education efforts are deliberately chosen to influence and assist children with the aim of improving knowledge, physical and morals that can gradually deliver the child to the highest goal. In order for the child to live a happy, and be beneficial to himself and society. Prof. H. Mahmud Yuzus
- Education means bringing out the ideas of universal validity which are latent in the mind of every man. Socrates
- Education is defined as a learning process for the individual to attain knowledge and understanding of the higher specific objects and specific. The knowledge gained formally results in an individual having a pattern of thought and behavior in accordance with the education they have gained. Big Indonesian Dictionary (1991)
- Education is a combination of growth and human development with a social legacy. Kohnstamm and Gunning (1995): Education is the formation of conscience. Education is a process of self-formation and self-determination ethically, conformed conscience. Stella van Petten Henderson
- Education is a conscious and deliberate effort to create an atmosphere of learning and the learning process so that learners are actively developing the potential for them to have the spiritual strength of religion, self-control, personality, intelligence, noble character, and the skills needed for themselves and society. Wikipedia
- Education is all one with growing; it has no end beyond itself. (Education is everything along with growth; education itself has no final destination behind him). John Dewey (1978). Education is an ongoing thing and it continues to happen even when we don’t notice as long as growth is taking place. There are some things that are learned by observation and in such situations, it is difficult to even realize that an individual is learning. For instance, a child learns how to cook through observation, then later on practices.
- In the broadest sense, education is the device by which a social group continued its existence renews itself and defends its ideas. H.H Horne
- Education is a process of learning, or the acquisition of knowledge, skills, values, morals, beliefs, habits, and personal development. Education originated as the transmission of cultural heritage from one generation to the next. Today, educational goals increasingly encompass new ideas. These include the liberation of learners. Importantly, critical thinking about presented information, skills needed for modern society, empathy, and complex vocational skills.
- Education can be categorized into three types which include; formal, informal, and nonformal education. For example, formal education is the type of education that takes place in a structured learning environment e.g. a classroom. Further, a qualified and trained teacher will facilitate this type of learning. They follow a syllabus depending on the level. The second type is informal education or traditional education. It takes place at any time and anywhere mostly in the home. There is no syllabus and the importance here is on the proper upbringing of a child, morals values, etc. Lastly, is nonformal education. Further, this type of education is more on sensitization of the community to information about health and other issues that might be affecting society. Mostly leaders of organizations train and mobilize people to do the teaching.
- In conclusion, the best definition of education still needs work. Education is a process that involves a lot. Specifically, there is also the practical part of it which is vocational training. Finally, the three types discussed and vocational training produce a single definition to give it the best definition. Lastly, that is why for now we can simply say it is a process that begins from birth until death. This is so because learning does not end depending on the environment and exposure.
Written By Stella, Zambia.